Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Turn Off This Song and Go Outside

The students at Franklin begin every school day singing a song during the opening announcements.  It's usually patriotic in nature or something that celebrates a specific culture being highlighted during the month.  Through the first eight weeks of school, we sang "God Bless America".  This week, we switched to an uptempo and ridiculously high version of the classic Woody Guthrie tune, "This Land Is Your Land" (& when I say fast & ridiculously high, I mean Alvin-and-the-Chipmunks-hopped-up-on-5-hour-energy-and-sucking-helium fast & ridiculously high).

Anyway, after two days of this nonsense, one of my second grade girls has had enough.  She told me this morning that she didn't want to sing "This Land is Your Land" anymore.

Instead, she said she'd rather listen to Lil Wayne.

Lovely.

That got me to thinking about what song I'd want to sing every morning.  I haven't settled on one just yet.  Got any suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment